Trimming the Artichoke Stem
Before you begin with trimming, prepare a bowl of cold water with lemon juice.
You’ll need a sharp paring knife or a good quality vegetable peeler.
See here how to Prepare an Artichoke.
- Firstly, trim the stem at the base of the choke.
- Cut the whole stem in half or into a manageable size.
- With a sharp knife begin peeling away the outer stringy and fibrous skin.
- Peel enough away to reveal the tender inner flesh.
- Work your way all around the stem until you have nothing but the core of the stem.
- Remove the blackened end if necessary.
- Now it’s up to you how you need to use the stem. You can leave them whole or slice them down the middle.
- or cut them into smaller bits.
- No matter how you cut them, remember to now put them into lemon water until you need to use them.